Pages

Monday 13 February 2012

Planting Trees

We had a wonderful weekend, although there has been some hard frosts  an area where a little tree planting took place was still suitable. I belong to the Women's Environmental Network, Crediton group, the lovely Kate applied to the Woodland trust for, yes Trees! We had a 420 trees that are native species, put along a bank to create a hedge on a wonderful small apple orchard.  The trees planted where mixed dog rose, elder, hazel and crab apple. Kate's plans are that in the future picking and gathering parties will return to this site, it should also encourage wildlife.


A good group of us working away, suitable for all ages.


Look at how small they are to start, the plastic coverings protect them from the rabbits.



A good job done, over 250 planted in just a couple of hours


Kate gave a me an apple tree to take home and plant myself. They had to show me what to do and how to care for it. 
I has a wonderful time, it has really inspired me to get out and do some work in my own garden.

1 comment:

Wendy Bayford said...

This sounds like a fabulous way to spend a day and a great investment in the future, especially with the bonus of crab apple jelly and Elderflower cordial to look forward to!